Teresa Huber, DNP, MSN, BSN, RN, Graduate Program Director
Post-master’s programs are available to students who have an earned BSN and MSN and seek specialized knowledge and skills as a nurse practitioner or nurse educator. Graduates of the programs will be qualified to take the certification examination for their specialty.
All nursing courses for certificate programs are offered online. Students, once admitted, are welcome to consult/meet with their advisor for full program advising before the end of the first semester. Students are expected to maintain close contact with their advisor throughout the program of study. Prior consent of the advisor should be obtained before any deviation from full program advising. Students are cautioned not to rely on advice of other students regarding applicability of courses.
A maximum of 33% of the program may consist of transfer work that can be applied to the program of study. To transfer a course in to NKU, a grade of B or better must have been earned.
Post-Master’s Admission Requirements
Admission to the Post-MSN certificate program is highly competitive. Completed applications with all required accompanying materials are reviewed according to priority deadlines listed on the Office of Graduate Education website, http://inside.nku.edu/graduate/admission-process.html.
- Submit a complete application for graduate admission.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
- Master of Science in Nursing degree from an ACEN, CCNE or CNEA accredited program of nursing. Students who have earned a MSN degree from a non-US institution will be considered for an exception to the requirement that the MSN come from ACEN, CCNE or CNEA accredited program of nursing, where applicable.
- Preferred applicants should have a Master of Science in Nursing program GPA of at least 3.0.
- A copy of your current, unencumbered RN license with expiration date in the state(s) you are licensed and practice.
- Completion of certification and currently licensed as nurse practitioner, if you are a nurse practitioner.
- Proof of 1,000 clinical hours of practice over the previous year for all Post-MSN certificates. Download the Employment Verification Form on the Office of Graduate Education website http://www.nku.edu/admissions/graduate/admission-process/additional-forms.html.
- The Adult Gero Acute Care Nurse Practitioner applicants must have 1-year experience in critical care. Download the Critical Care Verification Form on the Office of Graduate Education website, http://www.nku.edu/admissions/graduate/admission-process/additional-forms.html.